Saturday, April 11, 2020

Easter Saturday at Melbourne Beach


After an entire week at home, I went for a walk at the beach today. A friend allowed me to park on her property so that I could safely, following social distancing rules, spend some time in nature, take a walk on the beach. Words cannot express how much I needed the time outside. Time to feel the sun on my skin, breathe in the salty air, hear the waves crashing against the shore. Time to take in nature.  
In the past few weeks, we’ve seen headlines about a global pandemic, about requirements to shelter at home throughout the United States, about quarantines and lockdowns throughout the world. And at the beginning of this month, Florida’s governor enacted a stay at home law, and last week, the White House Covid-19 Coordinator advised the nation to even avoid the grocery stores if possible. Such a strange world we've stumbled upon. Between the headlines and posts on social media, like many others, I am feeling scared. I spent the past week at home alone where I only left the house for a quick walk around the lake. A week at home where I had groceries delivered. A week at home with only my cats and an occasional visit from Alaina.
The only thing that has kept me sane during this whole ordeal and this past week of even stricter seclusion is the kindness of others, and I am so grateful for it.
I am grateful for my friend who invited me to park on her property so that I could take a walk on the beach today and who dropped off a surprise gift a week ago. I am grateful for conversations with my sisters, cousin, daughters, and friends on the phone, Messenger video chat, and Zoom. I am grateful for collaboration with a friend during this pandemic where we are helping each other with our writing. I am thankful to the friend who invited me to use her private pool so that I could swim. I appreciate my sister sending me one of my favorite meals via UberEATS when I was having a difficult time. I am grateful for my students who are continuing to learn and complete their work even through the move to online classes. I am so thankful that I am privileged to be able to work from home and continue earning a living during this pandemic. I appreciate that I can pay my bills and order food when needed. I am thankful for the peace and solace of nature, for sunshine, for the ocean. This Easter, I am grateful for the love of Jesus who sacrificed and gave His life for us and for what this holiday celebrates: that He is risen.
I wish that Mom were still here on this earth, but I am thankful that I know Mom is with Him now. Today at the beach, I found a rock with a hole in it (one thing that Mom collected during her life), and I am grateful for the reminder of Mom and the reminder that she lives on in those who come from her and in the memory of those who love her.
Ultimately, I am grateful that, even during these troubled times, I have so much to be grateful for. Thank you to all of you whose kindness lifted my spirits during the past month. Happy Easter! 




No comments:

Post a Comment