Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sam & Thorin

          
          Lexi spent most of Saturday on the phone and computer, trying to save our dogs.  That evening and the next morning, her pale face and teary eyes cast a shadow of sadness while my chest felt tight from the looming deadline over us.  Laina would not even consider that the dogs might really be taken to the pound. 
          One vague idea came to me Sunday morning, so after church, I logged onto Craigslist, which has been very beneficial and kind to us over the years.  For instance, right before we left Kansas City, I treated myself to a professional camera, something I’d always wanted, that I found for a decent price on Craigslist and that I delight in using. Then, I found house-shares on Craigslist when we first arrived in Florida, while I was finishing my MFA.  Luckily, the house-shares worked out safely.  In fact, they were with people who taught me more about myself.  Since then, we’ve found and sold various items on Craigslist, so I thought maybe it was worth a try. 
Within five minutes, I found a ride-share with a woman willing to bring the dogs with her from Lebanon, Missouri this week.  My ex agreed to drive the dogs to her the next day and pay half of the fee.  I didn't know how I would pay the other half, yet when we finally brought in the mail that afternoon, I had an unexpected check from a Good Samaritan for the exact amount needed. 
Sam and Thorin are on the way to Florida and arrive Wednesday at noon!!
Lexi’s face lit up when she found out, and she hugged me.  “Thank you for rescuing them!  I was waiting for you to help.  I knew you would make it happen once you took the responsibility.  You make things happen, and I knew it.” 
Likewise, Laina hugged me and echoed Lexi’s words, “Thanks, Mom.  I knew they wouldn’t go to the pound.”
I feel conflicted about their words.  On the one hand, I am so glad that my girls see me as a woman who makes things happen.  Yes!  I want them to know that they can make things happen, too.  I want them to know that they are powerful and capable.  On the other hand, I do not want them to learn to take on too much responsibility and to take on other people’s responsibility.  I do not want them to think that that is okay.
Regardless, I am so grateful that Sam and Thorin are saved, and I can’t wait to see them.  Thank you all for your prayers and help.

At the same time, I am scared about what will happen when they arrive at our small condo that already holds our two cats.  We are not currently in a position to have two dogs, especially an energetic lab, in our condo.  But I couldn’t live with myself if I allowed our pets to be taken to the pound.  God placed it on my heart to look on Craigslist, and it worked out so quickly that I have to trust that the rest will work out too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment